Sunday, February 14, 2010

So...Today is Valentine's Day!

Today is Valentine's Day! A day that people have spent a lot of time and money on. This is my first Valentine's Day away from home. I was just fine until I was on Facebook and seen my friend Philippa's status that she hates love and think it is overrated because she doesnt have a guy to call her valentine. This bothered me. Merriam-Webster dictionary said valentine is "a gift or greeting sent or given especially to a sweetheart on Valentine's Day. b. something expressing uncritical praise or affection" with that being said, it doesn't say anything about a significant other. What my friend failed to realize was that she does have many valentines! She still has her mom, dad, and plenty of cousins that love her. Sure we would all like to have a significant other but if we don't it is ok! Its not the end of the world! My friend Dorthia and her brother DJ lost there mother in 2008. They would love to spend Valentine's Day with her but they can't, but Philippa still can. The point of me telling about Dorthia and DJ is that there is always someone else who has it worst than you do. People always ask me why am I so happy and always smiling, including on Valentine's Day. I am blessed to have my parents, a house I can go home to and all of my wonderful family's support in whatever I do. My answer is because my life could be a whole lot worse but it's not and that's what makes me happy =)

3 comments:

  1. This is very true, Shayla. If you haven't already, you'll notice that people will take any chance they get to complain. Don't let it bring you down!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked that you looked up valentine that was very insightful. there should be a place where all us valentine-less people can party at night and find their new valentine.

    well cal it "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart Club Bar"

    ReplyDelete